By Jill J. Dunkel for The American Quarter Horse Journal
Earning an AQHA Superhorse title takes all the right ingredients – a quality breeding program, an equine athlete with talent and heart, and a solid trainer to bring it all together. It’s much like an experienced bartender mixing an exquisite cocktail.
AQHA Professional Horseman Chuck Briggs of Pilot Point, Texas, and owner Nancy Gulick of Montlake Farms LLC near Seattle teamed up to bring the perfect ingredients together in 2018. As a result, Nancy’s 2013 brown gelding, Blue Kahlua, also known as “Rocky,” earned the coveted Lucas Oil Superhorse award.
The Lucas Oil Superhorse title is awarded to the horse that earns the most points in three or more Level 3 events in three categories during the show. It is the highest honor presented to a horse at the show.
Blue Kahlua is one of 20 horses vying for the Superhorse title at the 2019 Lucas Oil World.
The contenders are:
- Addatuddy Merada Nic, a 2013 bay mare owned by Tracy L. Thede of Reinbeck, Iowa
- Al Amaze You, a 2014 bay gelding owned by Jennifer Clark of Monon, Indiana
- Al Wayz On Your Mind, a 2014 bay gelding owned by Gerri Leigh Pratt of Winston-Salem, North Carolina
- Blue Kahlua, a 2013 brown gelding owned by Montlake Farms LLC of Seattle, Washington
- Bowmans Metallic Cat, a 2012 red roan stallion owned by BMC Partners of Springfield, Tennessee
- Catti Karoline, a 2013 black mare owned by Schumacher Quarter Horses of Howell, Nebraska
- CT Show Me Your Guns, a 2013 gray stallion owned by Reid A. Hockenson of Nichols, Iowa
- DGS Vintage, a 2014 bay stallion owned by Robin DeGraff of Port Clinton, Ohio
- Dual Patron, a 2013 buckskin stallion owned by Bobby E. Lewis of Overbrook, Oklahoma
- Hereicomagain, a 2013 brown mare owned by Katherine K. Tobin of Scottsdale, Arizona
- Heres Jo Whizkey, a 2014 bay stallion owned by Corky and Joni Warren of Granbury, Texas
- HVQ Bill Cody, a 2012 palomino stallion owned by Brent D. Johnson of Black River Falls, Wisconsin
- KM Flat Out The Best, a 2015 red roan mare owned by Susan K. Johns of Scottsdale, Arizona
- KR Fantallicka, a 2013 red roan stallion owned by 70 Ranch Performance Horses of Forg Morgan, Colorado
- One Fine Vintage, a 2009 sorrel stallion owned by Robertson Ranches of Plymouth, California
- Probably Roosters DD, a 2013 bay mare owned by Schumacher Quarter Horses of Howells, Nebraska
- Snap Krackle Pop, a 2010 gray mare owned by Twylla Lynn Brown of Perry, Missouri
- Whose Your Bay Bae, a 2014 bay gelding owned by Kelly M. Birkenholtz of Newton, Iowa
- Wranglered, a 2011 buckskin stallion owned by Dell and Terri Hendricks of Tioga, Texas
- Zip Up My Blumers, a 2010 brown mare owned by Lori Wilt of Shelbina, Missouri